TRANSIT STATION RENOVATION: A CASE STUDY OF PLANNING AND DESIGN PROCEDURES
The general techniques and procedures for planning and evaluating transit interface facilities are applied comprehensively to the problem of station renovation. The 69th Street Terminal in Philadelphia is evaluated in terms of its performance in accomplishing its transportation function, its effectiveness in relation to transportation policies, development objectives and costs. The planning procedures are employed to develop possible improvement programs. The report identifies modifications to the transit station that will produce operational conformity with policy guidelines and suggests alternative renovation plans to meet system and user objectives. The alternatives are evaluated and compared using factor profiles. Modifications of the selected plans are suggested, and the methodology is reviewed in terms of its performance in the renovation planning process.
- Record URL:
- Record URL:
University of Virginia, CharlottesvilleCenter for Transportation Studies, P.O. Box 400742
Charlottesville, VA United States 22904-4742
Department of TransportationOffice of University Research, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Griffiths, J R
- Hoel, L A
- Demetsky, M J
- Publication Date: 1979
- Pagination: 221 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Costs; Design; Facilities; Level of service; Measures of effectiveness; Passenger terminals; Planning; Public transit; Railroad stations; Rehabilitation (Maintenance); Strategic planning; Systems engineering; Tandem axle loads; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Effectiveness; Services
- Old TRIS Terms: Renovating
- Subject Areas: Design; Finance; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00198762
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/RSPD/DPB50-79/14Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-50223
- Files: NTIS, NTL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 17 1981 12:00AM