MOTOR CARRIER POOLING AGREEMENTS
This is a study of the recent emergence of formal pooling agreements among regulated interstate motor common carriers. Since 1971 the Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) has received several applications each year from short-haul and long-line ICC-authorized carriers to engage in pooled service to primarily small, rural towns to which the long-line carriers hold direct-line operating authority, but don't wish to serve directly. The ICC generally has acted favorably on these applications -- allowing the long-line carriers to retain their direct-line authorities although not providing direct service -- and has sought to establish more expeditious procedures to encourage further pooling arrangements. The report traces the development of the ICC's current policy toward pooling, describing: (1) the legal and economic conditions usually leading to pooling agreements, (2) the main features of three major approved agreements, (3) selected impacts of alternative pooling arrangements, and (4) reflections about the future prospects for pooling under the current and alternative scenarios for motor carrier regulation. The report finds that little attention has been focused by the ICC on negative impacts on local competition from pooling agreements. From the cases analyzed, however, there is no implication that shippers have opposed pooling, although currently no information is available on the relative quality of service available to shippers and receivers dependent on pooling arrangements.
- Prepared in cooperation with Raytheon Service Co., Burlington, MA.
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
Raytheon Service CompanyBurlington, MA USA
Department of TransportationAssistant Secretary for Policy and International Affairs, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Anthony, B B
- Publication Date: 1976-12
- Pagination: 43 p.
- TRT Terms: Common carriers; Contracts; Economics; Federal government; Freight transportation; Interstate commerce; Interstate transportation; Legal factors; Level of service; Motor carriers; Policy; Regulations; Rural areas; Small cities; Transportation; Trucks
- Uncontrolled Terms: Agreements; Services
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Pooling
- Subject Areas: Economics; Law; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00198755
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: SS-212-U7-23A, DOT/P/50-78/5
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 17 1980 12:00AM