COORDINATION OF SPECIAL TRANSPORTATION SERVICES IN WACO, TEXAS
This study of special transportation services and their coordination in the city of Waco, Texas was conducted to: identify agencies involved in the provision of special transportation services, compile detailed information on each agency, analyze data for the purpose of determining whether there were overlapping or duplicative services and whether economies could be achieved through consolidation, and evaluate special transportation service alternatives and select the best one for the Waco area. The target population for special transportation services constituted the elderly, handicapped, and other transportation - disadvantaged citizens. Of 37 agencies initially contacted, 16 returned questionnaires. Information was provided by agency respondents on the scope of services, drivers, vehicles and maintenance, agency budget information, income sources, and agency opinions about various transportation services available in Waco. A demographic survey and an activity center survey were also conducted. Three alternatives were selected as viable for the Waco area: (1) maintaining the existing supply of special transportation services; (2) establishing a single special transportation system; and (3) forming a special transportation system as an integral part of the public transportation system. It is recommended that the third alternative be adopted by the city of Waco. More detailed recommendations in the areas of organizing, operating, and financing a coordinated special transportation system are offered. Survey materials, survey summaries, a description of the estimated ridership demand methodology, and agency data sheets for special transportation services are appended.
- Executive Summary available from PROJECT SHARE, P.O. Box 2309, Rockville, Md. 20852 as SHR-0002759/ES.
Transportation Management AssociatesFort Worth, TX United States
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1978-3
- Pagination: 273 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Cities; Cities and towns; Communication; Coordination; Data collection; Delivery service; Governments; Labor unions; Level of service; Local government; Needs assessment; Organization; Organizations; Persons with disabilities; Planning; Public transit; Recommendations; Regional planning; Service agencies; Social service; Surveys; Transportation; Transportation disadvantaged persons
- Uncontrolled Terms: Disadvantaged persons; Services; Transportation systems; User needs
- Old TRIS Terms: Communicating; Service related organizations; Special service
- Subject Areas: Planning and Forecasting; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00198722
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 17 1981 12:00AM