SUMMARY AND ANALYSIS OF SYNOPTIC METEOROLOGICAL OBSERVATIONS IN SELECTED COASTAL MARINE AREAS
Tables of pertinent meteorological parameters, derived from Synoptic Meteorological Observations in selected coastal marine areas, were assembled to provide additional information for use in scheduling and routing NOAA ship operations. The tables list the following meteorological parameters in order of overall significant priority: (1) Percentage frequency of sea height in feet; (2) Monthly mean wave height rounded off to the nearest foot and percentage frequency of wave height in feet; (3) Percentage frequency of wind speed in knots; (4) Percentage frequency of visibility in nautical miles; and (5) Percentage frequency of air temperature in degrees Fahrenheit. The selected coastal marine areas are grouped into seven geographical areas: Great Lakes, East Coast, Gulf Coast, Atlantic Islands, Pacific Islands, West Coast, and Alaskan Coast. Each geographic areas includes an analysis, a table summarizing the monthly information, and tables listing monthly meteorological parameters by locality.
National Ocean Survey6001 Executive Boulevard
Rockville, MD United States 20852
- Publication Date: 1979-2
- Pagination: 94 p.
- TRT Terms: Atmospheric temperature; Coasts; Height; Measurement; Meteorological phenomena; Meteorology; Navigation; Ocean waves; Oceans; Scheduling; Tables (Data); Velocity; Visibility; Wave height; Wave measurement; Weather; Weather forecasting; Wind
- Geographic Terms: Alaska; Great Lakes; North Atlantic Ocean; North Pacific Ocean; United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Meteorological data; Meteorological parameters; Oceanographic data; Periodic variations; Sea states; Synoptic meteorology; Wind velocity
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00198696
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NOAA-79051009
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 17 1979 12:00AM