APPLICABILITY OF DIGITAL DATA COMMUNICATION FEATURES IN PUBLIC TRANSIT SYSTEMS: TECHNOLOGY ASSESSMENT
A survey was conducted of the state of the art of automatic vehicle monitoring (AVM) systems and their use in public transit, taxi, and police operations. The systems identified are applicable to improving operational efficiency and quality of service. The various system elements related to AVM systems were reviewed. Those elements included vehicle location, vehicle identification, vehicle monitoring, computer scheduling, computer dispatch, silent alarms, security alarms, mechanical alarms, on-board readout, real-time display, passenger counting, management reporting, and digital data hardware.
- Sponsored in part by Michigan State Highway Commission, Lansing.
Wayne State UniversityDepartment of Civil and Environmental Engineering
5050 Anthony Wayne Drive
Detroit, MI USA 48202
Highway Safety Research InstituteHuron Parkway and Baxter Road
Ann Arbor, MI USA 48109
Michigan State Highway CommissionHighways Building, P.O. Box 30050
Lansing, MI USA 48909
- Datta, T K
- Bowman, B L
- Cynecki, M J
- Publication Date: 1978-9
- Pagination: 156 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic tracking; Automatic vehicle monitoring; Centralized traffic control; Communication devices; Data communications; Digital computers; Fleet management; Identification systems; Location; Management; Monitoring; Police; Position fixing; Public transit; Pulse modulation; Radio; Real time control; Scheduling; State of the art studies; Taxicabs; Technology assessment; Transportation; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Fleets
- Old TRIS Terms: Centralized control; Digital systems; Pulse communication; Real time operation
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Security and Emergencies; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00198678
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UM-HSRI-78-44-2 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 17 1981 12:00AM