SUGGESTED EXPERIMENTS ON STRAIGHT PIPES IN AIR AND IN SOIL
This report discusses a series of suggested static and dynamic tests on straight pipes in air and in soil, aimed at obtaining experimental values of the parameters appearing in the dynamic analysis and in the damage matrices. A brief analytical study of the translational behavior of such pipes in included. A complete bibliography on the tests performed to date on such and other pipelines in the United States and abroad is appended. Tests are organized under twelve groupings, summarizing the total spectrum of completed tests. A general discussion is given on the reports in each group. The groups cover: recent work by the Bureau of Reclamation; recent work in Japan; recent work on soil-interaction; performance of rigid concrete pipes; performance of buried pipes and culverts; recent hydrostatic and waterhammer tests; gasketed bell-and-spigot joints; buckling in soil media; tube bending; forces on cylinders; branched connection behavior; and behavior of buried pipes under horizontal and vibratory motion.
Weidlinger Associates110 East 59th Street
New York, NY USA 10022
National Science FoundationApplied Science and Research Applications, 1800 G Street, NW
Washington, DC USA 20550
- Kratky, R J
- Nelson, I
- Salvadori, M G
- Weidlinger, P
- Publication Date: 1979-1
- Pagination: 94 p.
- Issue Number: 9
- TRT Terms: Accelerated tests; Bibliographies; Buckling; Concrete pipe; Conduits; Culverts; Dynamic tests; Hydrostatics; Joints (Engineering); Performance tests; Pipe; Pipelines; Soil mechanics; Soil structure interaction; Soils; Static tests; Stiffness; Tests; Underground structures
- Uncontrolled Terms: Hydrostatic tests; Pipe joints
- Old TRIS Terms: Pipes tubes; Rigid conduits
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Geotechnology; Highways; Pipelines; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00198662
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NSF/RA-790036 Grant Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: NSF-PFR78-15049
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 17 1980 12:00AM