TIMBER PILINGS: MAINTENANCE AND INSPECTION SUMMARY OF A PANEL DISCUSSION
The panel discussion concerned with maintenance and inspection of timber pilings attracted about 100 attendees (including ten who registered only for this event) to a lively evening session. Timber pilings are used in large numbers in bridge structures and for harbor and navigational facilities. The inspection and maintenance of these pilings, to prevent failures such as the collapse of the Coos Bay bridge in Oregon in 1977 (because of damage caused by marine borers), was the topic for discussion.
- Pub. in Proceedings of the Nondestructive Testing of Wood Symposium (4th) Held at Vancouver, WA. on August 28-30, 1978, p155-159 1979.
National Bureau of Standards14th Between E Street and Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC USA 20234
- Kaiserlik, J
- BERGER, H
- McGogney, C
- Publication Date: 1979
- Pagination: 5 p.
- TRT Terms: Bridges; Conferences; Failure; Inspection; Maintenance; Marine borers; Nondestructive tests; Piles (Supports); Timber; Wood; Wooden bridges
- Uncontrolled Terms: Bridge maintenance
- Old TRIS Terms: Timber piles; Wood piles
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Geotechnology; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00198656
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 17 1980 12:00AM