ARCTIC TERMINAL FOR ICEBREAKING TANKERS STUDY CONCEPTUAL DESIGN
This report presents the conceptual design for a marine terminal located at Wainwright, on the northwest coast of Alaska, to transfer crude oil to 250,000 dwt icebreaking, or ice strengthened tankers on a year around basis. The purpose was to determine the approximate cost of such a terminal as a preliminary guide for use in long range planning by Federal and state agencies, as well as by commercial firms having interests in the area. The site is situated to serve potential oil fields in northwest Alaska, the National Petroleum Reserve in Alaska, or offshore wells under the relatively near shore parts of the Chukchi Sea. The initial throughput capacity is 500,000 barrels per day with phased expansion up to 2,000,000 bpd. The terminal in the first phase consists of a single offshore mooring tower in 120 feet of water about 5 miles offshore connected by buried pipeline to an on shore facility with 5.2 million barrel storage capacity for oil. The final phase consists of three offshore towers and a total of 10.4 million barrel oil storage capacity.
- An Executive Summary is available from NTIS, PB-295514/4ST.
Bechtel CorporationPipeline Division, 50 Beale Street
San Francisco, CA United States 94119
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Lewis, A E
- Publication Date: 1979-3
- Pagination: 245 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Costs; Freight transportation; Fuel storage; Harbors; Icebreakers; Intermodal terminals; Intermodal transfer; Marine terminals; Moorings; Offshore structures; Offshore terminals; Petroleum; Petroleum industry; Petroleum terminals; Pipeline transportation; Storage facilities; Structural design; Tankers
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Petroleum trade
- Geographic Terms: Alaska; Arctic Regions
- Old TRIS Terms: Arctic oil transportation; Arctic terminals; Harbor facilities; Oil transfer systems; Pipeline terminals; Tanker ships; Terminal design; Terminal facilities
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Finance; Freight Transportation; Geotechnology; Marine Transportation; Pipelines; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00198645
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MA-RD-970-79050 Final Rpt., JOB-12963
- Contract Numbers: DO-A01-78-00-3028
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 17 1979 12:00AM