DISPOSAL OF VESSEL WASTES: SHIPBOARD AND SHORESIDE FACILITIES. PHASE ONE: BLACKWATER
The existing technical solutions to blackwater waste disposal problems of Great Lakes commercial vessels were defined and documented by conducting a survey of ship and port operators. The problems, posed by winter conditions to the operation and performance of waste disposal facilities were examined and analyzed for a projected winter navigation season. Shoreside disposal facilities were inventoried for number, type, limitations, winter weather problems and technical solutions to these problems. Shipboard facilities, marine sanitation devices, were evaluated for treatment performance and operation under general and winter conditions. The effects of blackwater treated by marine sanitation devices on the Great Lakes ecosystem were evaluated for short and long term impacts during an extended as well as normal navigation season. Various state and federal blackwater disposal regulations were discussed and the economic effects of these regulations on ship operations were evaluated for each type of treatment, with special attention given to holding tank design and costs.
Environmental Research Group, IncorporatedP.O. Box 8618
Ann Arbor, MI United States 48107
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Bartley, C B
- Leininger, E M
- Titcomb, A N
- Publication Date: 1979-2
- Pagination: 245 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Cargo ships; Coasts; Cold weather; Costs; Design; Economic analysis; Economic factors; Evaluation; Harbors; Operations; Regulations; Seasons; Sewage holding tanks; Sewage treatment; Ships; Surveys; Tanks (Containers); Waste disposal; Water pollution; Water transportation; Winter
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Waste treatment
- Geographic Terms: Great Lakes
- Old TRIS Terms: Economic analysis (Gt. lakes); Harbor facilities; Holding tanks; Sewage treatment systems; Shipboard sewage treatment
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Design; Economics; Environment; Finance; Law; Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00198604
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MA-RD-930-79012 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DO-78-3031-EM
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 17 1980 12:00AM