AERIAL RECONNAISSANCE OF HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCES SPILLS AND SPILL-THREAT CONDITIONS
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Environmental Monitoring and Support Laboratory in Las Vegas, Nevada, conducted aerial reconnaissance over a number of industrial facilities engaged in the production, storage, and handling of hazardous substances that are located near navigable waters of the United States. The purpose of this project was to demonstrate that aerial reconnaissance procedures currently utilized in monitoring oil production, refining, and storage facilities can be applied to monitoring chemical production and storage facilities to show whether spills and spill-threat conditions exist within chemical production and storage facilities, and to provide annotated photographic examples of spills and spill-threat conditions exist within chemical production and storage facilities, and to provide annotated photographic examples of spill conditions. Typical in-plant facilities covered in this reconnaissance include: (1) product storage facilities, including storage and holding tanks, drum storage and staging areas, and dry-product stockpiles; (2) product transfer facilities, such as marine and river terminals, and tank car and truck loading racks; and (3) plant drainage and wastewater treatment facilities. The photographic examples can serve as photo interpretation keys to aid both experienced remote sensing specialists and inexperienced personnel in monitoring chemical facilities for compliance with anticipated spill prevention regulations to be issued under authority of the Federal Water Pollution Control Act (FWPCA) as amended in 1977.
Lockheed Electronics Company, IncorporatedRemote Sensing Laboratory
Las Vegas, NV United States
Environmental Protection AgencyEnvironmental Monitoring and Support Laboratory
Las Vegas, NV United States
- Johnson, H V
- Publication Date: 1979-4
- Pagination: 73 p.
- TRT Terms: Aerial photography; Aerial surveying; Air pollution; Air pollution sources; Chemicals; Cleaning; Environmental protection; Freight transportation; Handling and storage; Hazardous materials; Loading facilities; Manufacturing; Marine terminals; Monitoring; Photography; Railroad cars; Storage facilities; Tank cars; Water pollution; Water quality management
- Old TRIS Terms: Aerial surveys; Car cleaning; Cargo transportation
- Subject Areas: Environment; Freight Transportation; Maintenance and Preservation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00198587
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EPA/600/4-79/027 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: EPA-68-03-2636
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 17 1980 12:00AM