AN ECONOMIC MODEL OF THE MANUFACTURERS' AIRCRAFT PRODUCTION AND AIRLINE EARNINGS POTENTIAL, VOLUME 3
A behavioral explanation of the process of technological change in the U. S. aircraft manufacturing and airline industries is presented. The model indicates the principal factors which influence the aircraft (airframe) manufacturers in researching, developing, constructing and promoting new aircraft technology; and the financial requirements which determine the delivery of new aircraft to the domestic trunk airlines. Following specification and calibration of the model, the types and numbers of new aircraft were estimated historically for each airline's fleet. Examples of possible applications of the model to forecasting an individual airline's future fleet also are provided. The functional form of the model is a composite which was derived from several preceding econometric models developed on the foundations of the economics of innovation, acquisition, and technological change and represents an important contribution to the improved understanding of the economic and financial requirements for aircraft selection and production. The model's primary application will be to forecast the future types and numbers of new aircraft required for each domestic airline's fleet.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyDepartment of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA USA 02139
- KNEAFSEY, J T
- Hill, R M
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 185 p.
- TRT Terms: Aircraft industry; Aircraft operations; Airframes; Airlines; Costs; Econometrics; Economic models; Fleet management; Forecasting; Production; Technological forecasting
- Identifier Terms: Boeing 707 aircraft; Boeing 727 aircraft
- Uncontrolled Terms: Fleets
- Old TRIS Terms: Aircraft production costs; Airline operations; Regression coefficients
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Economics; Finance;
- Accession Number: 00198516
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NASA-CR-152158 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: NSG-2129
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 17 1979 12:00AM