TRANSPORTATION ENERGY CONSERVATION: AN ENVIRONMENTAL OVERVIEW
This paper reviews the DOE environmental evaluation process designed to implement NEPA policies and guidance. The process is effective in addressing environmental concerns early in the development of a technology, strategy, or policy, and in projecting the research and assessment requirements necessary to resolve those concerns. The real success of DOE's method for NEPA implementation will not be known until environmentally and technologically sound transportation energy systems are available as a result of the RD and D efforts, or useful policies are implemented. Assessment efforts completed to date have focused on electric vehicles since they are about to be demonstrated and have uncovered some possible impacts requiring further study to understand them and to mitigate them. In all the process has been shown to be systematic, comprehensively searching all environmental areas for concerns relating to Transportation Energy Conservation program elements, and rigorously assessing the impacts of those concerns. The process is also flexible, based on an annual cycle document, the EDP, which can respond to changes in the TEC program and advances in the understanding of the interaction of TEC efforts and the environment.
- Environmental Control Symposium, Washington, DC, November 28, 1978.
Argonne National Laboratory9700 South Cass Avenue
Argonne, IL United States 60439
Department of Energy1000 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC United States 20585
- Bernard III, M J
- Publication Date: 1978-11
- Pagination: 24 p.
- TRT Terms: Development; Electric vehicles; Energy conservation; Environmental impacts; Evaluation; Fuel substitution; Implementation; Policy; Research; Transportation; Transportation planning
- Uncontrolled Terms: Research and development; Transportation systems
- Old TRIS Terms: National energy act
- Subject Areas: Energy; Policy; Research; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00198434
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Contract Numbers: W-31-109-ENG-38
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 17 1980 12:00AM