OPTICAL IN SITU VERSUS PROBE MEASUREMENTS OF NITRIC OXIDE CONCENTRATION AS A FUNCTION OF AXIAL POSITION IN A COMBUSTOR EXHAUST
Nitric oxide (N0) concentration was measured at three axial stations (6.5, 12, and 25 nozzle diameters downstream of a combustor nozzle exit) in a jet engine combustor exhaust by a gas-sampling probe in conjunction with conventional gas analyzers and an optical resonance absorption technique. The gas analyzer system permitted measurements of NO, NO sub x, CO, CO sub 2, and C sub x, H sub y (total hydrocarbons) whereas the optical absorption technique permitted measurement of NO only. The combustor was exhausted into a test cell of slightly less than atmospheric pressure and was operated at an inlet air temperature of 589 K, a total pressure of 344.3 kPa, and a fuel-to-air ratio (f/a) of 0.02. A multiprobe rake was used to acquire emissions, total pressure and temperature, and static pressure data at the measurement stations. The measurements of total pressure, total temperature, and measured static pressure were used to determine static temperature and pressure profiles at each measurement station, which are required for determining NO concentration by the optical absorption technique.
- Prepared in cooperation with ARO, Inc., Tullahoma, TN.
Arnold Air Force Engineering Development CenterArnold Air Force Station
Tullahoma, TN USA 37389
- Few, J D
- Bryson, R J
- Lowry III, H S
- Publication Date: 1979-3
- Pagination: 37 p.
- TRT Terms: Absorption; Aircraft exhaust gases; Combustors; Concentration (Chemistry); Exhaust gases; Gas analysis; Gas detectors; Hydrocarbons; Measuring instruments; Nitric oxide; Nitrogen oxides; Nozzles; Optical detectors; Optical instruments; Samplers; Static tests
- Old TRIS Terms: Axial flow; Emission spectra; Exhaust nozzles
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00198347
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: AEDC-TR-78032 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 17 1979 12:00AM