TESTS OF THE AMTRAK SDP-40F TRAIN CONSIST CONDUCTED ON CHESSIE SYSTEM TRACK, EXECUTIVE BRIEF
This report describes results of tests of an SDP-40F train consist conducted on Chessie System track during June, 1977. The test consisted of the operation of two test trains intended to be typical of AMTRAK passenger consists, one powered by two SDP-40F's and the other by two E-8's, over a variety of track conditions The objectives of the tests were to compare dynamic performance of the SDP-40F locomotive with a baseline case, the E-8, and to determine the sensitivity of the SDP-40F response to track geometry variations, operational parameters and several maintenance and configuration states of the truck/suspension system.
- Record URL:
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1979-5
- Pagination: 24 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash investigation; Derailments; Diesel electric locomotives; Dynamic loads; Dynamic tests; Locomotives; Passenger transportation; Performance tests; Rail (Railroads); Railroad tracks; Railroad trains; Regression analysis; Rolling contact; Safety engineering; Steering; Structural design; Suspension systems; Test trains; Vehicle design; Wheels
- Identifier Terms: Amtrak; Chessie System
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic analysis; Dynamic response; Track geometry
- Old TRIS Terms: Locomotive design; Six axle locomotives
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Design; Passenger Transportation; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00198302
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-79/18 Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 29 1979 12:00AM