ENFORCEMENT REQUIREMENTS FOR HIGH-OCCUPANCY VEHICLE FACILITIES
Enforcement of high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) traffic restrictions forms an integral and sometimes critical element of HOV preferential treatment projects. This research (1) reviewed enforcement on HOV facilities, (2) identified effective HOV enforcement techniques, (3) developed model legislation for effective HOV enfoorcement and (4) prepared HOV enforcement guidelines. This report presents the findings of this research. Sixteen projects in the United States encompassing each type of freeway and arterial treatment, were visited to gain in-depth operational and enforcement data on each project. These projects exhibited varying enforcement programs, deficiencies and performance levels. Enforcement guidelines have been prepared for each type of freeway and arterial priority treatment of high-occupancy vehicles. In order to improve enforcement of HOV facilities, innovative techniques-involving photographic instrumentation, mailing of citations, tandem (team) patrol and para-professional officers-have been identified within the context of this research. For these innovative enforcement techniques to be effective, a compatible legal environment is necessary. This research conducted a legal review of six prominent legal issues posed by these techniques. Model legislation is drafted to provide the proper legal environment for effective HOV enforcement.
Beiswenger, Hoch and Associates1190 NE 163rd Street
Miami Beach, FL United States 33162
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Miller, N C
- Deuser, R B
- Publication Date: 1978-12
- Pagination: 241 p.
- TRT Terms: Arterial highways; Freeways; Guidelines; High occupancy vehicle lanes; Highway traffic control; Highways; Law enforcement; Laws; Legislation; Motor vehicles; Streets; Traffic control; Traffic engineering; Traffic lanes; Traffic signals; Urban areas; Urban transportation; Vehicle occupants
- Old TRIS Terms: Reserved lanes
- Subject Areas: Highways; Law; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00198296
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-79- 15 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-9240
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 29 1981 12:00AM