IMPACT OF THE REPEAL OF THE KANSAS MANDATORY MOTORCYCLE HELMET LAW
The State of Kansas repealed its mandatory motorcycle helmet law effective July 1, 1976. The project was designed to evaluate the effects of the repeal of this law, through a retrospective analysis of the incidence and severity of injuries to those motorcyclists involved in accidents before and after the repeal of the law. Within the boundaries of a representative study area, data concerning accidents and injuries was gathered for a study period of stable motorcycle usage during both 1975 and 1976. In addition, an observational survey was completed during 1977 to determine current usage of motorcycle helmets and/or eye protection. The findings indicate an overall usage of motorcycle helmets by 47.1% of those observed. Some form of eye protection was in use by 70.2% of those observed. The data indicates that statistically significant increases in the incidence and severity of injuries to the head and to the general body occurred between the pre-repeal and post-repeal periods. The data also indicates that the crude death rate for those involved in motorcycle accidents without helmet protection is significantly higher than the crude death rate for those persons who are involved in motorcycle accidents while wearing a helmet.
- This information also appeared in the Executive Summary, DOT-HS-803-959, PB-29566818ST
University of Kansas, LawrenceCollege of Health Science, Emergency Medical Training Program
Kansas City, KS United States 66103
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Lummis, M L
- Tucker, G J
- Publication Date: 1979-1
- Pagination: 172 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash severity; Fatalities; Goggles; Head; Helmets; Injuries; Laws; Motorcycles; Motorcyclists; Protection; Statistical analysis; Traffic crashes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Mortality; Motor vehicle accidents
- Geographic Terms: Kansas
- Old TRIS Terms: Helments
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Law; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00198292
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-804-018 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-7-01563
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 29 1979 12:00AM