LABORATORY EVALUATION OF CONCRETE TIES AND FASTENINGS FOR TRANSIT USE
This report was prepared as part of an ongoing research effort by the Urban Mass Transportation Administration (UMTA) to develop standard concrete ties for rapid transit use. The overall objective of this contract was to fabricate and evaluate, by laboratory tests, standard ties of different designs intended for transit use. Two tie designs, a pretensioned monoblock and a post-tensioned two-block, together with preliminary specifications for tie manufacture were developed in an earlier study by the Transit Development Corporation. Objectives of the investigation were to evaluate, by laboratory tests, the adequacy of: each of three fastening systems; each of the tie designs; and the assembled track components with ties supported on ballast and subjected to simulated rapid transit loading. Work performed to accomplish these objectives included fabrication of prestressed concrete ties and testing of ties, fastenings, and assembled track components.
- See also report PB-297570.
Skokie, IL United States 60077
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Hanna, A N
- Publication Date: 1979-3
- Pagination: 79 p.
- TRT Terms: Ballast (Railroads); Concrete; Concrete ties; Design; Dynamic loads; Dynamic structural analysis; Fasteners; Laboratory tests; Measuring instruments; Prestressed concrete ties; Rail fasteners; Railroad ties; Railroad tracks; Rapid transit; Specifications; Structural design; Tests
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic response
- Old TRIS Terms: Cross tie design; Rapid transit railways; Track structures
- Subject Areas: Design; Public Transportation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00198280
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-79-24 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1442
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 29 1979 12:00AM