RAILROAD RETARDER NOISE REDUCTION: STUDY OF ACOUSTICAL BARRIER CONFIGURATIONS
Field measurements of noise were made near a railroad retarder system without barriers and with acoustical barriers of various configurations. The configurations tested included acoustically reflective and acoustically absorptive barriers with heights of 4 to 12 feet and lengths extending from 0 to 22 feet beyond retarder entrance and exit. Two of the 12 foot high barriers were also tested with a 1 foot inward projecting acoustical panel lip along the top. It was found that the absorptive barriers reduced retarder noise from a few decibels inside the barriers to as much as 25 decibels at 100 feet from the retarder on the system centerline perpendicular to the tracks. Reflective barriers increased noise inside the barriers and at points outside, but near open ends of, the barriers; and reflective barrier noise reduction at 100 feet on the perpendicular centerline was limited to about 16 decibels. Retarder noise was concentrated in a frequency range between 2 and 3 kilohertz. The analytical study presented provides details on the role of observer location as well as the various aspects of barrier configuration.
- Prepared in cooperation with Industrial Acoustics Co., Inc., Bronx, NY.
Burlington Northern, Incorporated176 East Fifth Street
St Paul, MN United States 55101
Industrial Acoustics Company, Incorporated1160 Commerce Avenue
Bronx, NY United States 10462
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Morgan, J A
- Ingard, U
- Publication Date: 1979-5
- Pagination: 93 p.
- TRT Terms: Acoustic measuring instruments; Acoustics; Barriers (Roads); Damping (Engineering); Field tests; Freight cars; Freight terminals; Hump yards; Noise; Noise barriers; Noise control; Railroad trains; Retarder control; Sound level
- Identifier Terms: BNSF Railway
- Uncontrolled Terms: Barriers; Noise reduction
- Old TRIS Terms: Acoustic measurement; Retarder noise
- Subject Areas: Environment; Freight Transportation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00198279
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-NHTSA-79-35 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1035
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 29 1979 12:00AM