MOTORCYCLE HANDLING. VOLUME II: TECHNICAL REPORT
To better define and explore the potentially important relations between handling and safety performance of motorcycles, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration sponsored this research contract with objectives that can be summarized as follows: to evaluate principal performance response parameters for a sample of motorcycles as a function of a broad range of operational variables, utilizing previously developed full-scale test and simulation methods; to develop additional test procedures that provide discriminating measures of motorcycle performance during combined cornering and braking, and cornering and acceleration influences, and possible on-center control instabilities; and to correlate performance parameters for directional control and transient handling with subjective evaluations, as a first step toward establishing the meaningfulness of test procedure results in the accident avoidance sense.
- See also Volume 1, PB-297461.
Systems Technology, Incorporated13766 South Hawthorne Boulevard
Hawthorne, CA United States 90250
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Weir, D H
- Zellner, J W
- Teper, G L
- Publication Date: 1978-5
- Pagination: 526 p.
- TRT Terms: Acceleration (Mechanics); Brakes; Braking; Control; Cost accounting; Digital simulation; Evaluation; Handling characteristics; Loads; Motorcycles; Performance tests; Safety; Simulation; Stability (Mechanics); Tests; Vehicle performance; Vehicle safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Handling
- Old TRIS Terms: Vehicular safety
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00198277
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: TR-1086-1-2 Final Rpt., DOT-HS-804-191
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-6-01381
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 29 1979 12:00AM