MOTORCYCLE HANDLING. VOLUME I: SUMMARY REPORT
Analytical and experimental studies of the handling response and performance of motorcycles are reported. Five instrumented example vehicles were used. Steady turn, single lane change, cornering and braking, and cornering and accelerating tests were accomplished. Test procedures and measures are presented, together with subjective evaluations. Oscillatory behavior involving weave and wobble motions were investigated. The effects of adding load, changing operating conditions, and modifying vehicle configuration are shown. Braking tests were made with a motorcycle fitted with a prototype antilock brake system, and the results showed markedly superior performance on wet (low SN) surfaces. Linear and nonlinear digital computer simulations of motorcycle response and performance are described and demonstrated.
- See also Volume 2, PB-297462.
Systems Technology, Incorporated13766 South Hawthorne Boulevard
Hawthorne, CA United States 90250
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Weir, D H
- Zellner, J W
- Publication Date: 1978-5
- Pagination: 46 p.
- TRT Terms: Acceleration (Mechanics); Brakes; Braking; Control; Cost accounting; Digital simulation; Evaluation; Handling characteristics; Loads; Motorcycles; Performance tests; Safety; Simulation; Stability (Mechanics); Tests; Vehicle performance
- Uncontrolled Terms: Handling
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00198276
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: TR-1086-1-1 Final Rpt., DOT-HS-804-190
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-6-01381
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 29 1979 12:00AM