NOISE RATING CRITERIA FOR ELEVATED RAPID TRANSIT STRUCTURES
The purpose of this report is to recommend criteria for rating the noise radiated from elevated rapid transit structures during train passages, so that different types of structures can be inter-compared with respect to their noise impact on the immediate neighborhood, or alternatively, so that noise abatement programs for elevated structures may be developed on a rational basis. In developing these criteria, the report also summarizes information that is applicable to the rating of rail transportation noise in general. The report examines the requirements for descriptors that would be suitable for rating elevated structure noise, reviews existing noise ratings, concludes that the only suitable candidates are the average sound level (Leq) and the day-night average sound level (Ldn) and examines and resolves the possible disadvantages of these choices. The report also reviews studies that have been made to determine the impact of rail transportation noise on the community, compares subjective response to rail noise with that due to road traffic and aircraft noise, and finds these responses to be nearly the same. Finally, the report delineates and illustrates application of the so-called Fractional Impact Method to assessment of the community impact of elevated structure noise, based on the results of numerous social surveys on noise, and widely used by the Environmental Protection Agency for environment impact statements.
Bolt, Beranek and Newman, Incorporated50 Moulton Street
Cambridge, MA United States 02138
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Schultz, T J
- Publication Date: 1979-5
- Pagination: 146 p.
- TRT Terms: Air transportation; Elevated guideways; Elevated structures; Environmental impacts; Highways; Noise; Noise control; Perception; Rail transit facilities; Railroad bridges; Railroad facilities; Rapid transit; Sound level; Stress (Physiology); Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Noise reduction
- Old TRIS Terms: Rapid transit noise; Rapid transit railways; Thresholds (Perception); Wayside
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Environment; Public Transportation; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00198273
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-79-25 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1531
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 29 1981 12:00AM