IMPACTS OF MOTORCYCLE HELMET LAW REPEAL IN SOUTH DAKOTA. VOLUME I
The South Dakota statute mandating helmet use by motorcyclists was modified, effective July 1, 1977, to effectively repeal the law for adult cyclists. The present report assesses changes in levels of helmet use and in state-wide accident experience between pre- and post-repeal periods. State-wide surveys of helmet use involving observations of 12,228 cyclists in 1976 and 12,826 cyclists in 1977 showed statistically significant declines in rates of helmet use for all sub-sets of cyclists. Overall the rate of driver helmet use declined from 99.6% in the pre-repeal period to 57.3% during the post-repeal period. Passenger helmet use declined from 99.3% to 60.7% between periods. Large decreases in helmet use were observed for all time-of-day and day-of-week periods, and for all roadway types. Although no detectable changes were observed in state-wide fatal, injury, or total crash rates, analyses of medical data for accident victims showed substantial evidence of negative impact of helmet law repeal. During the 24 month study period, head/skull injuries were recorded for 9.2% of helmeted riders compared to 21.1% of unhelmeted riders. Injury severity was also significantly greater for unhelmeted than for helmeted accident victims.
- See also PB-295427.
University of South Dakota, VermillionHuman Factors Laboratory
Vermillion, SD United States 57069
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Struckman-Johnson, C
- Ellingstad, V S
- Publication Date: 1979-1
- Pagination: 106 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash investigation; Crash severity; Fatalities; Helmets; Highways; Injuries; Laws; Measures of effectiveness; Motorcycles; Motorcyclists; Passengers; Safety and security; Statistical analysis; Surveys; Traffic crashes; Transportation safety; Utilization
- Uncontrolled Terms: Effectiveness; Motor vehicle accidents
- Geographic Terms: South Dakota
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Law; Passenger Transportation; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00198267
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Statistical Reference File, TSC
- Report/Paper Numbers: HFL-78-7 Final Rpt., DOT-HS-803-996
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-6-01423
- Files: NTIS, TSR, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 29 1979 12:00AM