ON THE INTERPRETATION OF INFRARED SOLAR SPECTRA FOR ALTITUDE DISTRIBUTION OF ATMOSPHERIC TRACE CONSTITUENTS
The quantitative interpretation of infrared sunset spectra in terms of mixing ratio profiles of atmospheric constituents requires a detailed consideration of the airmass and pressure distribution along the sunset ray. A computer program has been developed for determining the airmass and pressure distribution along this ray. Since infrared absorptions are pressure-dependent, a technique has been developed for treating this pressure dependence in analyzing absorption over such paths. The technique uses an approximation which maintains computational accuracy for such paths while reducing the computer time required for the calculations. The interpretation of such spectra is further complicated if the concentration of the constituent of interest varies with solar zenith angle (e.g. NO). Calculations were performed using time-varying profiles for NO and NO2. These calculations show that, if this time variability is not taken into account, the inferred profiles are greatly in error in the case of NO and marginally in error for NO2.
- Prepared in cooperation with Utah State Univ., Logan. Center for Research in Aeronomy.
Denver UniversityDepartment of Physics, University Park
Denver, CO United States 80210
Washington, DC United States 20591
- Murcray, D G
- Goldman, A
- Cook, G R
- Rolens, D K
- Megill, L R
- Publication Date: 1978-8
- Pagination: 239 p.
- TRT Terms: Absorption spectra; Accuracy; Analysis; Atmospheric chemistry; Atmospheric pressure; Computer programs; Electromagnetic spectrum; Gases; Infrared radiation; Nitric oxide; Nitrogen oxides; Photochemical reactions; Physical distribution; Solar radiation; Stratosphere; Trace elements
- Uncontrolled Terms: Atmospheric density
- Old TRIS Terms: Air mass analysis; Infrared spectra; Pressure gradient; Solar spectra; Solar spectrum; Trace gases
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Environment; Freight Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00198245
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FAA-AEE-78-30 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FA77WA-3949
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 29 1980 12:00AM