THE ROCHESTER NEW YORK INTEGRATED TRANSIT DEMONSTRATION. VOLUME I: EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
The Rochester Integrated Transit Demonstration (RITD) was designed to assess the roles of demand-responsive transit services in a regionwide transit system that includes an extensive fixed-route bus network. The demonstration extended transit service into suburban areas by using integrated mixes of fixed-route and paratransit services. Four types of innovations were demonstrated: service; system integration; equipment; and fares, marketing, and promotion. This report describes the conduct of and the impacts resulting from the implementation of a family of demand-responsive transit services and several related innovations in Greece and Irondequoit, New York (two suburbs of Rochester). The report covers the time period beginning with the implementation of PERT (Personal Transit) services in August 1973 through July 1977. The report contains a description of the implementation process and the impacts of individual services and innovations on the level of service provided, transit demand, and transit productivity. The implications of the Rochester experience are summarized for the benefit of other localities considering the implementation of similar services.
- See also Volume 2, PB-296876. Also available in set of 3 reports, PB-296874-SET.
Systan, Incorporated343 Second Street, Suite A-D.
Los Altos, CA USA 94022
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Lave, R E
- Holoszyc, M A
- Publication Date: 1979-3
- Pagination: 82 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus transit; Buses; Coordination; Demand; Demand responsive transportation; Demonstration projects; Equipment; Fares; Fixed routes; Impacts; Implementation; Innovation; Level of service; Marketing; Networks; Operations research; Productivity; Promotion; Public transit; Publicity; Suburbs; Transportation operations; Transportation planning; Travel demand; Travel time; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Integrated transportation systems; Services; Transportation management
- Geographic Terms: New York (State)
- Old TRIS Terms: Bus transportation (Intracity); Demonstration
- Subject Areas: Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Research;
- Accession Number: 00198203
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-78-51-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1084
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 15 1981 12:00AM