TRUCK NOISE IV-H: POST-FLEET TEST RESULTS ON HEAVY DUTY DIESEL TRUCKS HAVING REDUCED NOISE EMISSIONS
Four quieted over-the-road tractors were designed and produced. These were evaluated in fleet service. Significant reductions in diesel truck noise were achieved with current state-of-the-art by using a systematic approach on each major noise source. The report describes the fleet test hardware that originally went into service and documents the degradation and normal abuse of the noise control equipment and the resulting changes in the noise levels after the inservice life of the linehaul trucks--approximately 3 years and 400,000 miles. A comparative analysis of fleet maintenance and operating costs for the quiet trucks and like production vehicles is also provided.
- See also report dated December 1975, PB-248770. Portions of this document are not fully legible.
International Harvester CompanyTruck Engineering Center
Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States 46801
Department of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Henry, T J
- Publication Date: 1979-1
- Pagination: 104 p.
- TRT Terms: Acoustic measuring instruments; Acoustics; Air intakes; Alternatives analysis; Cooling systems; Cost effectiveness; Diesel engines; Diesel trucks; Emission control systems; Exhaust gases; Field tests; Fuel consumption; Maintenance; Maintenance management; Noise; Noise control; Operating costs; Service life; State of the art studies; Traffic noise; Truck tractors; Trucks
- Uncontrolled Terms: Comparative analysis; Enclosures; Maintenance costs; Noise reduction
- Old TRIS Terms: Acoustic measurement; Modification kits; Truck noise
- Subject Areas: Design; Energy; Environment; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Motor Carriers; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00198197
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-803-876 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-20222
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 15 1979 12:00AM