DEVELOPMENT OF VEHICLE ROLLOVER MANEUVER. VOLUME I
This report describes research aimed at investigating the rollover response characteristics of automobiles. Emphasis was placed on the development of a test procedure to evaluate performance under untripped flat-surface operating conditions. Both simulation and full-scale experimental methods were employed to examine the effects of a variety of configurational and operational factors on rollover response. Over 500 test runs involving seven vehicles in ten configurations were performed. Studies were made of the effects of initial speed, steering input patterns, braking techniques, suspension damping, loading, and tire characteristics. Testing was performed using both manual and automatic control methods. In addition to discussions of the results of these studies, the report contains a review of the involvement of rollover in actual accidents, analyses of the physics of tripped and flat surface (untripped) rollover, a discussion of the simulation study results, and an outline of a preliminary test procedure for vehicle rollover resistance evaluation.
- Portions of this document are not fully legible.
Calspan Advanced Technology Center4455 Genesee Street
Buffalo, NY United States 14225
Washington, DC United States 20590
- RICE, R S
- Segal, D J
- Jones, IIS
- Publication Date: 1978-6
- Pagination: 232 p.
- TRT Terms: Acceleration (Mechanics); Braking; Crash investigation; Dynamic loads; Evaluation; Loads; Mathematical models; Motor vehicles; Reviews; Rolling; Rollover crashes; Skid resistance; Speed; Steering; Suspensions; Tires; Traffic crashes; Traffic speed
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic response; Lateral stability; Loading; Motor vehicle accidents
- Old TRIS Terms: Resistance; Roll
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00198185
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CALSPAN-ZQ-5993-V-1 Final Rpt., DOT-HS-804-093
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-6-01382
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 15 1979 12:00AM