BROOME COUNTY / TOWN OF OWEGO RURAL - URBAN TRANSPORTATION / HUMAN SERVICES STUDY
The results of a 10 - month study of the potential for rural transit development and coordination of human service agency transportation in Broome County and the town of Owego, New York, are presented. Existing conditions in the study area are described, as well as the planned rural transit system design. Consideration is given to alternative rural transit systems, the recommended transit system design, the 5 - year development program for the area, the management approach, the implementation plan, the marketing plan, and human service agency coordination. The recommended rural transit system is a demand - response service with a 24 - hour advance notice requirement. This service will operate from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday. Coordinated transfers between the rural transit system and the Broome Transit System will be available in downtown Binghamton. The basic fare for the recommended system is $0.25 per trip. It is also recommended that one free transfer to the Broome Transit System be allowed for each trip into the urban area and that a discount ticket program be initiated. The proposed management structure for the rural transit system includes the Broome County structure which is already operational and a transportation commission for the town of Owego. Data on financial projections and the cost structure are provided. Coordination and consolidation are the two key concepts recommended to facilitate implementation in the study area. Five coordination and consolidation elements are identified: information and referral coordination, volunteer driver coordination, an operations clearinghouse, centralized dispatching, and consolidation.
- Executive Summary available from PROJECT SHARE, P.O. Box 2309, Rockville, Md. 20852 as SHR-0002664/ES.
Applied Resource Integration Limited739 Boylston Street
Boston, MA USA 02116
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
Albany, NY USA 12232
- Publication Date: 1978-3
- Pagination: 184 p.
- TRT Terms: Communication; Communities; Consolidations; Consumers; Coordination; Delivery service; Demand responsive transportation; Government agencies; Labor unions; Level of service; Methodology; Organization; Outreach; Public relations; Rural areas; Service agencies; Social service; Transportation; Transportation planning; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Services
- Old TRIS Terms: Agency role; Communicating
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00198144
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Techn Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Sep 15 1981 12:00AM