POST LICENSING CONTROL REPORTING AND EVALUATION SYSTEM: NEGLIGENT OPERATOR PROGRAM COST AND EFFECTIVENESS
The costs and traffic safety impacts of the four negligent operator treatments--Warning Letter (W/L), Group Educational Meeting (GEM), Individual Hearing (I/H), and Probation Violator Hearing (P/V) are presented. The Warning Letter was projected to save 1.24 accidents per 1,000 drivers treated. While this effect size is not statistically significant, the W/L is so inexpensive that sample results project it to be cost-beneficial, with an estimated cost of $669 for each accident prevented. The remaining treatments had statistically significant impacts on accidents. The GEM is projected to save 17.12 accidents per 1,000 drivers, at a cost of $871 per prevented accident. The I/H is projected to save 18.77 accidents per 1,000 drivers at a cost of $2,309 per accident saved. The P/V is projected to save 9.16 accidents per 1,000 drivers treated, at a relatively high estimated cost of $6,139 per accident saved. The projected effect of all treatments combined was 1,155, accidents prevented per year. The W/L, GEM, I/H, and all treatments as a package are cost-beneficial, but findings for the P/V on this are equivocal. Each treatment caused a statistically significant, substantial reduction in convictions.
- Periodical status report.
California Department of Motor VehiclesResearch and Statistics Section
Sacramento, CA USA
California Office of Traffic Safety7000 Franklin Boulevard
Sacramento, CA USA 95823
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Kadell, D J
- Peck, R C
- Publication Date: 1979-2
- Pagination: 61 p.
- TRT Terms: Benefit cost analysis; Collisions; Cost estimating; Costs; Courts; Driver licensing; Driver rehabilitation; Education; Estimates; Group dynamics; Measures of effectiveness; Pollution control; Prevention; Reports; Safety; State government; Traffic crashes; Traffic safety; Traffic violators
- Uncontrolled Terms: Abatement; Effectiveness; Motor vehicle accidents; Rehabilitation; Reporting
- Geographic Terms: California
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Law; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00198123
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CAL/DMV/RSS-79/SR/4
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Sep 15 1979 12:00AM