STIFF RECTANGULAR RAFTS SUBJECT TO CONCENTRATED LOADS
Graphical results are presented for the distribution of reaction, bending and twisting moments and differential settlement in stiff rectangular rafts which rest on an elastic halfspace and are loaded by small areas of uniform pressure. The cases considered are only those for which the loading is symmetrical about both center lines, but include a complete range of load locations from central to edge and corner loads for length/breadth = 1 and 2. In addition values of total settlement for any length/breadth ratio and some results for length/breadth = 5 are presented. The analysis is based on the biharmonic equation and the Kirchoff boundary conditions, which are converted to integral form and solved numerically.
- Research Report.
University of SydneyCivil Engineering Laboratories
Sydney, New South Wales 2006, Australia
- Brown, P T
- Publication Date: 1978-10
- Pagination: 35 p.
- TRT Terms: Equations; Foundations; Graphics; Loads; Plates (Engineering); Rectangles; Settlement (Structures); Soil mechanics; Stiffness
- Uncontrolled Terms: Rigid foundations
- Geographic Terms: Australia
- Old TRIS Terms: Graphic methods; Plates (Structural members); Rectangular bodies
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00198085
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: R-332
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Sep 15 1979 12:00AM