TECHNOLOGY ASSESSMENT OF CHANGES IN THE FUTURE USE AND CHARACTERISTICS OF THE AUTOMOBILE TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM. SUMMARY AND FINDINGS
The assessment deals with changes in the future use and characteristics of the automobile transportation system that are expected in the near term (by 1985) and those that might evolve over a longer period (through 2000 and beyond). The scope of the assessment is broad and includes not only automobiles but also highways, fuel supply and distribution, automotive repair and service, insurance, traffic management, and law enforcement--in short, all of the industries and services that contribute to use of the automobile as a mode of personal transportation. The report analyzes the restraints of energy supply, environmental impacts, highway safety, and consumer cost on the further development of the automobile transportation system. It discusses Government initiatives that may be necessary to assure such further development. Detailed projections, policy analyses, and technological forecasts incorporated in this volume are published in Volume II--Technical Report.
- Record URL:
Office of Technology Assessment600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NE
Washington, DC USA 20510
- Publication Date: 1979-2
- Pagination: 48 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Automotive engineering; Costs; Electric automobiles; Energy conservation; Environmental impacts; Fuel consumption; Fuel systems; Highway traffic control; Highway transportation; Highways; Insurance; Law enforcement; Level of service; Maintenance; Motor fuels; Motor vehicle industry; Safety engineering; Statistics; Technology; Technology assessment; Traffic engineering; Traffic law enforcement; Traffic safety; Trend (Statistics); Vehicle maintenance
- Uncontrolled Terms: Change; Services
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Data and Information Technology; Energy; Environment; Finance; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Operations and Traffic Management; Security and Emergencies; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00198033
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: OTA-T-83
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 15 1979 12:00AM