ELECTRIC AND HYBRID VEHICLES. COMMERCIALIZATION PHASE III PLANNING
In September 1976, the Congress enacted Public Law 94-413, the Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Research, Development and Demonstration Act of 1976, to establish a program to stimulate the commercialization of electric and hybrid vehicles (EHVs) as a partial solution to the oil consumption problem. This law was later amended by Public Law 95-238. This legislation is intended to stimulate the commercialization of EHVs by the purchase or lease and demonstration of state-of-the-art and advanced vehicles through 1985. The major vehicle categories are: (1) Specific-mission electric vehicles; (2) general-purpose electric velhicles; and (3) general-purpose hybrid vehicles. Section III highlights the characteristics of the technology, provides status information on the technical and environmental Research and Development programs, presents a milestone chart representing a relationship between a considered commercialization schedule and relevant environmental Research and Development, and reviews the environmental concerns significant to the technology. Section IV examines the likelihood and consequences of adverse findings, the problems and uncertainties stemming from current or anticipated environmental regulation, and potential costs of environmental controls. On this basis, an assessment is offered of the existing or potential barriers to commercialization. Appendix A presents a tabulation of outstanding environmental concerns.
Department of Energy1000 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC USA 20585
- Clusen, R C
- Publication Date: 1978-9
- Pagination: 38 p.
- TRT Terms: Decision making; Demonstration projects; Development; Electric vehicles; Environment; Environmental impacts; Fuel consumption; Hybrid automobiles; Hybrid vehicles; Internal combustion engines; Laws; Lead acid batteries; New products; Nickel zinc batteries; Planning; Public health; Research; Research projects; Safety; Sodium sulfur batteries; State of the art studies; Technology assessment
- Uncontrolled Terms: Commercialization; Research and development; Research programs
- Subject Areas: Energy; Environment; Highways; Law; Planning and Forecasting; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00197873
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 15 1979 12:00AM