A CRITICAL EXAMINATION OF A NUMERICAL FRACTURE DYNAMIC CODE
After upgrading the energy dissipation algorithm, numerical experiments were conducted to assess the reliability of the explicit dynamic finite element code, HCRACK. Two dynamic fracture specimens, i.e., the wedge-loaded rectangular DCB (RDCB) specimen and the wedge-loaded tapered DCB (TDCB) specimen, were then analyzed with this updated fracture dynamic code. Using the experimentally determined dynamic fracture toughness, K sub ID, versus crack velocity, a-dot, relation, the RDCB specimen was analyzed first by the "propagation method" where good agreements between calculated and measured K sub ID versus a relation were observed. The calculated a versus time, t, relation was then used as input data in the "generation method" where the resultant K sub ID were virtually identical to those obtained in the propagation method. Error analyses of the generation method were also made first by using the experimentally determined a versus t relation and secondly by artifically perturbing this relation. A TDCB specimen was then analyzed with both the propagation and generation methods by using the K sub ID versus a-dot relation established for this specimen and the measured a versus t relation, respectively. The computed K sub ID obtained by both methods were good agreement with the experimental results, showing that either approach can be used in analyzing fracture.
University of Washington, SeattleDepartment of Mechanical Engineering
Seattle, WA USA 98105
- Hodulak, L
- Kobayshi, A S
- Emery, A F
- Publication Date: 1979-2
- Pagination: 30 p.
- TRT Terms: Algorithms; Coding systems; Cracking; Dynamics; Finite element method; Fracture mechanics; Structural analysis; Toughness; Validation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Crack propagation
- Old TRIS Terms: Machine coding
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Materials; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00197758
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: TR-34 Tech Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: N00014-76-C-0060
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 15 1979 12:00AM