IMPACTS OF PROPOSALS FOR REFORM OF ECONOMIC REGULATION ON SMALL MOTOR CARRIERS AND SMALL SHIPPERS
The study reviews existing evidence on the effects of changes in economic regulation on small carriers and small shippers. Small carriers, particularly owner operators have experienced stabilized levels of compensations from regulated lessor carriers so that a change in regulation would not affect their compensation rates. Small shippers are shown to be affected by rate and service concepts used conventionally in pick up and delivery service. Examination of pick up and delivery cost formulas and data suggests that under relaxed regulation there would be economic incentives for shippers to consolidate their shipments rather than for carriers to consolidate their pick up and delivery service.
Charles River Associates, Incorporated200 Clarendon Street, John Hancock Tower
Boston, MA United States 02116
Office of the Secretary of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1977-7
- Pagination: 93 p.
- TRT Terms: Common carriers; Compaction; Competition; Consolidations; Costs; Delivery service; Deregulation; Economic factors; Employee compensation; Freight transportation; Incentives; Level of service; Motor carriers; Motor vehicles; Needs assessment; Owner operators; Pickup trucks; Policy; Rates; Regulations; Reviews; Shipments; Traffic managers; Transportation operations; Trucks
- Identifier Terms: U.S. Interstate Commerce Commission
- Uncontrolled Terms: Compensation; Gyratory compaction; Services; Shippers; User needs
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Government policies; Pickups; Rates costs; Transportation administration
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Finance; Freight Transportation; Highways; Law; Motor Carriers; Policy; Railroads; Society;
- Accession Number: 00197722
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-60527
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 15 1979 12:00AM