SOUTH DAKOTA: ASAP ANALYTIC STUDY NO. 1 - 1977. AN ANALYSIS OF TOTAL PROJECT IMPACT
The study analyzes the effects of ASAP on alcohol related traffic accidents. Week-long series of hourly observations were created by summing successive two-year segments of traffic accident records. The resulting series were decomposed via a harmonic analysis into frequency components that represented the time paths of the seven daily cycles. The results of baseline/project period comparisons indicated that the South Dakota ASAP caused a small, temporary reduction in alcohol related (AR) crashes, and in light of rather large increases in AR crashes following project termination, probably maintained a dampening effect throughout the project period. The results of the frequency component analysis were supported by visual inspection of changes in the monthly series of selected subsets of injury and fatal crashes that served as proxy measures for alcohol related crashes.
- Prepared in cooperation with South Dakota Alcohol Safety Action Project, Pierre. See also HS-803 845, TRIS 197709.
University of South Dakota, VermillionHuman Factors Laboratory
Vermillion, SD United States 57069
South Dakota Alcohol Safety Action ProjectPierre, SD United States 57501
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Krause, P B
- Publication Date: 1977-7
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 60 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash severity; Driver rehabilitation; Drunk drivers; Drunk driving; Fatalities; Injuries; Prevention; Records management; Safety; Statistical analysis; Time series analysis; Traffic crashes; Traffic safety
- Identifier Terms: Alcohol Safety Action Program
- Uncontrolled Terms: Motor vehicle accidents; Records; Rehabilitation
- Geographic Terms: South Dakota
- Old TRIS Terms: Asap (Alcohol safety action program)
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Finance; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00197699
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: HFL-77-5 Final Rpt., HS-803 843
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-6-01416
- Files: HSL, NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 15 1982 12:00AM