SOUTH DAKOTA: ASAP ANALYTICAL STUDY NO. 5/6 - 1976. AN ANALYSIS OF DRINKER DIAGNOSIS, REFERRAL, AND REHABILITATION ACTIVITY
The report examines the activities of pre-sentence investigation, drinker diagnosis, alcohol treatment referral, and rehabilitation countermeasures of the South Dakota Alcohol Safety Action Project over the four year operational period from 1972 through 1975. An analysis of the drinker diagnosis procedures showed the reliability (consistency) of the resulting drinker classes to be largely dependent on the person making the final diagnostic decision, but that the system could be easily improved by establishing standards for weighting the various pre-sentence investigation input variables. DWI recidivism was used as a standard to evaluate the effectiveness of the rehabilitation programs and no evidence could be found that any of the treatment programs was effective in modifying drunk driving behavior.
- Prepared in cooperation with South Dakota Univ., Vermillion. Human Factors Lab.
South Dakota Alcohol Safety Action ProjectPierre, SD United States 57501
University of South Dakota, VermillionVermillion, SD United States 57069
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Olshan, M D
- Krause, P B
- Ellingstad, V W
- Publication Date: 1976-6
- Pagination: 162 p.
- TRT Terms: Alcoholism; Diagnosis; Diagnostic tests; Driver rehabilitation; Drivers; Jurisprudence and judicial processes; Law enforcement; Project management; Recidivism; Social factors; Social impacts; Traffic safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Rehabilitation
- Geographic Terms: South Dakota
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Law; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00197683
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-804-248
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-045-1-061
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 15 2002 12:00AM