ALCOHOL SAFETY ACTION PROJECT, SECTION III, ANALYTICAL STUDY 4, JUDICIAL
The New Orleans Alcohol Safety Action Project (ASAP) has made a major effort to assist the judicial system in New Orleans in dealing with the threefold increase in drunken driving arrests generated by the enforcement section of ASAP. The project provided two part-time special prosecutors whose sole responsibility was the effective and efficient prosecution of drunken driving cases. This analytic study covers the entire project period, from 1972 through 1976. During this time span it has been the responsibility of the judicial section of ASAP to provide efficient and professional prosecution of cases initiated both by the ASAP enforcement unit and by the regular patrol personnel. In this analytic study a step-wise multiple discriminate analysis was used to determine which factors of those available were important in determining whether a driver was found not guilty, was found guilty of a reduced charge, or was found guilty of the original driving while intoxicated (DWI) charge. Additionally, a group composed of individuals who did not appear for their court hearing and who are still at large was included. The results of this analysis indicate that the most important determinate of the disposition of these cases is the blood alcohol content of the individual when arrested. There have also been large year to year variations in the disposition of cases.
- See also PB-294755.
New Orleans Alcohol Safety Action Project705 Lafayette
New Orleans, LA USA 70130
Data Industries, Incorporated3444 Olympic Drive
Metairie, LA USA 70003
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Duffy, J
- Hebert, C J
- Publication Date: 1977-6-30
- Pagination: 30 p.
- TRT Terms: Adjudication; Blood alcohol levels; Drunk drivers; Drunk driving; Law enforcement; Prevention; Regulations; Safety; Traffic crashes; Traffic law enforcement; Traffic safety
- Identifier Terms: Alcohol Safety Action Program
- Uncontrolled Terms: Motor vehicle accidents
- Geographic Terms: Louisiana
- Old TRIS Terms: Asap (Alcohol safety action program)
- Subject Areas: Highways; Law; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00197662
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-H-803-129 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-059-1-076
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 15 1979 12:00AM