EVALUATION OF PASSENGER COUNTER SYSTEM FOR AN AVM EXPERIMENT. VOLUME I: TECHNICAL REPORT
Passenger count information is needed by transportation planners and transit management to determine total transportation system requirements based on projected passenger movement throughout the transit network. This report, Volume I, contains the results of an evaluation of three commercial transit-line passenger counter systems for use in transit buses, namely: Dynamic Controls, Inc.; Dyniman, Inc.; and International Pro-data Corporation. (One counter incorporated treadle mats at each door step, and the other two counters incorporated infrared beams established across each doorway.) The evaluation was conducted to assess the potential performance of these systems for use as part of the Multi-User (Automatic Vehicle Monitoring) System. It involved three phases: (1) controlled testing of each candidate's counting accuracy under laboratory conditions; (2) simultaneous field testing of all three candidates on a transit bus during normal in-service operation; and (3) simultaneous environmental testing of the three candidates' sensors. The evaluation results indicated that the passenger counter which incorporated treadle mats operated by the pressure of passengers' feet, exhibited slightly superior counting performance under virtually all test conditions.
- See also Volume 2, PB-294200.
Gould Information Identification IncorporatedFort Worth, TX USA
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Balaram, A
- Gruver, G
- Thomas, H
- Publication Date: 1979-2
- Pagination: 78 p.
- TRT Terms: Accuracy; Automatic vehicle monitoring; Buses; Detection and identification; Detectors; Evaluation; Field tests; Measurement; Passenger counting; Passenger transportation; Sensors; Specifications; Tests; Transportation operations; Transportation planning; Transportation system management; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Requirement; Transportation management
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00197646
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-78-54 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1237
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 15 1981 12:00AM