ANALYTIC STUDY NO. 5. AN ANALYSIS OF DRINKER DIAGNOSIS AND REFERRAL ACTIVITY
The Sioux City/Woodbury County Alcohol Safety Action Project (ASAP) became operational July 1, 1972. The primary purpose of the project was to reduce the number of alcohol-related fatalities, injury accidents, and amount of personal property loss. Secondary gains which might occur as a result of enforcement efforts during the operational period were assessed but the focus of attention was the drinking driver, especially the problem drinker. Four countermeasure areas became functional after July 24, 1972, including (1) Law Enforcement, (2) Judicial, (3) Rehabilitation, and (4) Public Information and Education (PI&E). Law enforcement countermeasures included but was not restricted to increased attention to detection and arrest of suspected drinking drivers. The Judicial area included attempts to define the problem drinker in a more objective fashion and refer drivers arrested on alcohol-related charges to appropriate treatment programs. The rehabilitation effort consisted of different 'schools' providing various approaches and levels of intensiveness to re-educate and change the behavior of drinking drivers.
- Prepared in cooperation with Morningside Coll., Sioux City, IA. Dept. of Sociology.
Sioux City-Woodbury County Alcohol Safety Action ProjectSioux City, IA USA
Morningside College, Sioux CitySioux City, IA USA
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1975-12
- Pagination: 35 p.
- TRT Terms: Driver rehabilitation; Education; Information management; Information organization; Law enforcement; Prevention; Publicity; Safety; Traffic crashes; Traffic safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Motor vehicle accidents; Rehabilitation
- Geographic Terms: Iowa
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00197611
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-802-986
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-163-2-256
- Files: NTIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 28 2002 12:00AM