THE DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES COUNTERMEASURE, PERFORMANCE REPORT FOR 1975
In cooperation with the Los Angeles County Alcohol Safety Action Project (ASAP), two district field offices of the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) participated in a three year program with the Alcohol Safety Action Project. The program was aimed first at having DMV staff identify problem drinkers from among persons whose driving records were being reviewed by the Department. Secondly, it was directed toward having suspected problem drinkers referred to the Diagnostic, Evaluation and Referral Center (DER) for diagnostic evaluation and appropriate treatment. The number of driver's suspected of being problem drinkers and the subsequent number of referrals to the DER clinic was used as criteria to determine whether the countermeasure was effective. The number of referrals to the DER center were fairly low. However, the data does not reflect the fact that the DMV began referring to other rehabilitation agencies. The ASAP-involved DMV offices have integrated the referral process into their regular program, and are using a widening variety of resource agencies.
Los Angeles County, CaliforniaAlcohol Safety Action Project, 1540 Alcazar
Los Angeles, CA USA 90033
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Maltez, F
- Publication Date: 1976-3
- Pagination: 29 p.
- TRT Terms: Countermeasures; Driver rehabilitation; Drunk drivers; Drunk driving; Licenses; Measures of effectiveness; Performance; Prevention; Safety; Traffic crashes; Traffic safety
- Identifier Terms: Alcohol Safety Action Program
- Uncontrolled Terms: Effectiveness; Motor vehicle accidents; Rehabilitation
- Geographic Terms: California
- Old TRIS Terms: Asap (Alcohol safety action program)
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00197545
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-804-112 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-161-2-252
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1979 12:00AM