SINGLE-COMMODITY AND MULTI-COMMODITY NETWORK IMPROVEMENT PROCEDURES
In this report a multi-modal freight transport improvement problem is formulated, and a heuristic solution procedure is developed for large scale problems. Arcs on a multi-modal network are modified to minimize the sum of investment and shipper disutility. The model includes a mode abstract multinomial logit model and convex arc transport characteristic improvement functions. The procedure is based on the general Continuous Optimal Adjustment heuristic suggested by Steenbrink; a major component is a concave transportation assignment problem, for which two methods are developed: a Dantzig-Wolfe decomposition to solve an arc-path form of the general multi-commodity fixed charge network flow problem, and a heuristic based on the local optimum seeking procedure of Yaged. The latter was programmed and thirty test runs were made on a problem derived from the Multi-State Transportation Corridor research program. Conclusions reached are: the solution procedure is viable; although times are long, this is not unusual for problems of this size or design construction projects of this scale; solution times may be shortened considerably by proper selection of parameters. As a final step, the procedure is extended to include multiple transport commodity classes.
University of Georgia, ExperimentGeorgia Experiment Station
Experiment, GA United States
Office of the Secretary of Transportation1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Mullens, M A
- SHARP, G P
- Publication Date: 1979-3
- Pagination: 289 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer programs; Freight transportation; Heuristic methods; Mathematical models; Network analysis (Planning); Optimization; Physical distribution; Subroutines; Theses; Traffic managers; Transportation; Transportation operations; Transportation planning
- Uncontrolled Terms: Network flows; Shippers; Transportation management; Transportation models
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00197510
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-OST-80050-1C Spec Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OST-80050
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1979 12:00AM