PARATRANSIT VEHICLE TEST AND EVALUATION. VOLUME III: HANDLING TESTS
A series of tests and evaluations of two prototype vehicles for paratransit were conducted. This volume (Volume III) presents the test procedures and results of the handling test series. The test determined the steering and handling characteristics of the two paratransit prototypes and a production baseline vehicle. The tests assessed each vehicle's understeer/oversteer characteristics during cornering, ability to return to a straight line from a turn, capability of safely maintaining lateral accelerations, ability to be maneuvered near its lateral traction limits, and stability and controllability during rapid control reversals.
- See also Volume 2, PB-295476, and Volume 4, PB-295478. Also available in set of 5 reports, PB-295474-SET.
Urban Mass Transportation AdministrationOffice of Tech Development & Deployment, 400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
- Wesson, L E
- Culley, C
- Anderson, R L
- Publication Date: 1978-6
- Pagination: 94 p.
- TRT Terms: Acceleration (Mechanics); Comfort; Control; Evaluation; Handling characteristics; Maneuverability; Paratransit services; Performance tests; Quality control; Standards; Steering; Tests; Urban transportation; Vehicle performance; Vehicles
- Uncontrolled Terms: Handling; Quality
- Subject Areas: Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00197507
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-0052-78-3 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1241
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1979 12:00AM