PARATRANSIT VEHICLE TEST AND EVALUATION. VOLUME I: RIDE COMFORT AND QUALITY TESTS
The vehicles presently available for paratransit service do not cover the full spectrum of required characteristics necessary for public transportation. Therefore, specifications were developed by the U.S. Government for a vehicle specifically for use in paratransit service. Prototype vehicles were manufactured for the Government by two different manufacturers, and independent series of tests and evaluations of these vehicles were conducted. The program was structured to provide performance data that will be used to upgrade future redesigns. The program consisted of five separate test series: (1) Ride Comfort and Quality; (2) Acceleration and Interior Measurement; (3) Handling; (4) Fuel Economy; and (5) Noise. The results of the program are documented in a five-volume technical report, and each volume corresponds to one of the individual test series. This volume (Volume I) presents the test procedures and results of the ride comfort and quality test series. The objectives of this test series were to measure the ride characteristics of the test vehicles and to determine if and how well they satisfied standards for ride quality. The tests measured the ride characteristics of the two prototype vehicles and a baseline passenger car as they were driven at controlled speeds over a specially constructed ride course. The vibratory motions impacted to the driver and passengers were evaluated against the criteria in International Standard ISO 2631 for driver fatigue and passenger comfort.
- See also Volume 2, PB-295476. Also available in a set of 5 reports, PB-295474-SET.
Urban Mass Transportation AdministrationOffice of Tech Development & Deployment, 400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
- Wesson, L E
- Culley, C
- Anderson, R L
- Publication Date: 1978-6
- Pagination: 216 p.
- TRT Terms: Acceleration (Mechanics); Comfort; Evaluation; Fatigue (Physiological condition); Fuel consumption; Noise; Paratransit services; Performance based specifications; Performance tests; Prototypes; Quality control; Riding qualities; Specifications; Standards; Tests; Urban transportation; Vehicle performance; Vehicles; Vibration
- Uncontrolled Terms: Quality
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Energy; Environment; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00197505
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-0052-78-1 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1241
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1979 12:00AM