INTEGRATED PARA-TRANSIT TRANSPORTATION PLANNING FOR OFF-PEAK LOW DENSITY TRAVEL. REPORT 3. PLANNING METHODOLOGY
The report provides guidelines for planning paratransit for off-peak and/or non-work travel. This report considers the cost-effectiveness of implementing separate demand responsive systems or of using a traditional fixed route system for serving off-peak trips. It also presents a series of models for estimating user and supplier costs of various types of midday fixed route bus and Dial-A-Ride service. The models are then applied under a set of assumptions (which the planner may vary to suit his or her local conditions) to delineate the circumstances (demand density, service area size, level of service, etc.) under which either Dial-A-Ride or fixed route service would be more cost-effective in providing off-peak transportation.
- See also Report 2, PB-295465. Also available in a set of 3 reports, PB-295463-SET.
University of Illinois, ChicagoSchool of Urban Sciences
Chicago, IL USA 60680
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Baker, D
- Sue, L C
- Walsh, M
- McKnight, C
- Johnson, C
- Publication Date: 1978-9
- Pagination: 78 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus transit; Cost effectiveness; Demand responsive transportation; Fixed routes; Guidelines; Level of service; Mathematical models; Needs assessment; Off peak periods; Paratransit services; Passenger transportation; Routes; Traffic; Transportation planning; Travel budgets; Travel costs; Travel demand; Travel patterns; Urban transit; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: User needs
- Old TRIS Terms: Bus transportation (Intracity); Off-peak traffic; Urban/mass
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00197503
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Statistical Reference File, TSC
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IL-11-0023-79-3Final Rpt
- Files: NTIS, TSR, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1979 12:00AM