INTEGRATED PARA-TRANSIT TRANSPORTATION PLANNING FOR OFF-PEAK LOW DENSITY TRAVEL. REPORT 2. ELDERLY AND HANDICAPPED TRANSPORTATION
The report provides guidelines for planning paratransit for off-peak and/or non-work travel. The report is designed as a comprehensive pre-implementation planning manual which will aid the planner in: (1) identifying the transportation needs of the local elderly and handicapped population; (2) estimating demand and system costs and benefits; (3) identifying sources of funding; and (4) identifying and evaluating various service combination options. Some of the areas covered are: federal legislation; sources for funding; issues that will affect transportation planning; travel behavior including current demand and estimates of latent demand; major transportation alternatives; the coordination of existing transportation services provided by social service agencies; the accessibility of existing bus or rail systems; separate fixed route bus system; demand responsive transit; ride-sharing; and solutions to problems presented. The report contains a Bibliography and Appendices A and B: 'Transportation Survey of the Mobility Limited' and 'Service Coordination Survey', respectively.
- See also Report 1, PB-295464, and Report 3, PB-295466. Also available in a set of 3 reports, PB-295463-SET.
University of Illinois, ChicagoSchool of Urban Sciences
Chicago, IL USA 60680
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- McKnight, C
- Walsh, M
- Gallery, M
- Willens, R
- Stanton-Masten, L
- Publication Date: 1978-9
- Pagination: 114 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Benefit cost analysis; Bibliographies; Bus transit; Coordination; Cost estimating; Estimates; Federal government; Financing; Fixed routes; Laws; Legislation; Manuals; Mobility; Needs assessment; Off peak periods; Paratransit services; Passenger transportation; Physically handicapped persons; Railroad transportation; Service agencies; Social service; Traffic; Traffic distribution; Transportation; Transportation planning; Travel demand; Travel patterns; Urban areas; Urban transit; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: User needs
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Bus transportation (Intracity); Off-peak traffic; Urban/mass
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00197502
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Statistical Reference File, TSC
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IL-11-0023-79-2Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TSR, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1979 12:00AM