REHABILITATING DRINKING DRIVERS: AN ANALYSIS OF THREE YEARS OF ACTIVITIES OF THE NEW HAMPSHIRE ALCOHOL SAFETY ACTION PROJECT
The rehabilitation efforts of the Alcohol Safety Action Project were initiated to provide people convicted of driving while intoxicated (DWI) with retraining and resources for dealing with problems related to drinking and driving. To evaluate the program's effectiveness, the subsequent accident involvement and DWI rearrest records of those referred were compared with groups of not-referred people. The results indicated that the total number of subsequent accidents and DWI rearrests were less for the referred groups than they were for the not-referred groups. The differences that were found occurred within the same and subsequent year after conviction but were not present in later years. Because of possible differences that may have existed between the groups initially, these findings, while not conclusively proving the effectiveness of the schools, do indicate that the rehabilitation experience can reduce the incidence of subsequent accidents and DWI rearrests.
- Prepared in cooperation with Dunlap and Associates, Inc.
New Hampshire Alcohol Safety Action ProjectConcord, NH USA 03301
Dunlap and Associates IncorporatedOne Parkland Drive
Darien, CT USA 06820
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Ulmer, R G
- Jacobs, H H
- Publication Date: 1979-3
- Pagination: 33 p.
- TRT Terms: Alcoholism; Crimes; Driver records; Driver rehabilitation; Drivers; Drunk drivers; Drunk driving; Education; Evaluation; Law enforcement; Measures of effectiveness; Project management; Recidivism; Traffic crashes; Traffic safety
- Identifier Terms: Alcohol Safety Action Program
- Uncontrolled Terms: Effectiveness; Motor vehicle accidents; Rehabilitation
- Geographic Terms: New Hampshire
- Old TRIS Terms: Asap (Alcohol safety action program)
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00197499
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-79-11 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-055-1-071
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1979 12:00AM