AN ANALYSIS OF TOTAL PROJECT IMPACT, SECTION TWO, ANALYTIC STUDY I(PHOENIX, AZ.)
The focus of the study is on analysis of motor vehicle crash rates as the ultimate criterion of ASAP impact. Results indicated a decreasing trend in both injury and total crashes. Fatal crashes were relatively unchanged, but their characteristically low monthly frequency limited usefulness of this measure. Crash subsets known to be closely associated with alcohol involvement (such as single vehicle and nighttime injury) provided additional evidence for a downward trend. Unfortunately, positive effects were not felt until the second year of Project activity (1973) and were similar to trends observed in the comparison city of Tucson, Arizona. For these reasons, it cannot be concluded that the ASAP achieved its crash reduction objectives. The report also describes countermeasure elements and charts the ASAP system process from arrest through final DWI case disposition. Profiles of fatal crashes, drivers and pedestrians are also presented, with a comparison made between alcohol-related and other accidents.
- See also PB-295350.
Phoenix Alcohol Safety Action Project1250 South 7th Avenue
Phoenix, AZ United States 85007
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Clay, T R
- Ellingstad, V S
- Publication Date: 1977-6
- Pagination: 96 p.
- TRT Terms: Alcoholism; Before and after studies; Crash rates; Drivers; Education; Evaluation; Fatalities; Impacts; Injuries; Law enforcement; Measures of effectiveness; Project management; Social factors; Social impacts; Traffic crashes; Traffic safety
- Identifier Terms: Alcohol Safety Action Program
- Uncontrolled Terms: Effectiveness; Motor vehicle accidents; Profiles
- Geographic Terms: Arizona
- Old TRIS Terms: Asap (Alcohol safety action program)
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00197481
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-803-906 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-052-1-068
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 2003 12:00AM