A COMPREHENSIVE ANALYSIS OF URBAN BUS TRANSIT EFFICIENCY AND PRODUCTIVITY. PART III. ANALYSIS OF OPTIONS TO IMPROVE URBAN TRANSIT PERFORMANCE
This document is the third part of a study undertaken to analyze options for improving transit performance with particular emphasis upon bus transit systems in small to medium-sized urban areas. A methodology is developed to evaluate the impact of small changes in three operational policy variables, namely: frequency, number of bus stops, and fare along a fixed bus route. Analytical expressions are derived that trace the impact of each variable upon various other system variables leading finally to an assessment of changes in selected measures of efficiency and effectiveness. The application of the methodology is demonstrated with a case study of a selected bus route in a medium-sized Indiana city. The results indicate that significant improvements can be achieved in most of the efficiency and effectiveness measures considered. Finally, the reliability and maintenance aspects of a bus transit system are investigated using repair data from the City of Anderson Transportation System, Indiana. This data is subsequently used in a simulation model using GASP IV to investigate the effect of increasing the number of mechanics and the number of spare buses upon the overall dependability of the transit system.
- See also Part 2, PB-295222. Also available in set of 4 reports, PB-295219-SET.
Purdue UniversitySchool of Civil Engineering, 550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafeyette, IN United States 47907
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Sinha, K C
- Bhandari, A S
- Publication Date: 1978-12
- Pagination: 198 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus stops; Bus transit; Buses; Contracts; Drivers; Economic efficiency; Fares; Fixed routes; Frequency (Electromagnetism); Improvements; Labor market; Level of service; Maintenance; Maintenance management; Management; Mathematical models; Performance; Performance evaluations; Planning; Productivity; Reliability; Routes; Simulation; Small cities; Systems analysis; Systems engineering; Transportation operations; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Efficiency; Services; Transportation management
- Geographic Terms: Indiana
- Old TRIS Terms: Bus transportation (Intracity); Management planning
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00197476
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IN-11-0003-79-4Final Rpt., CE-TRA-78-2
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UMTA-IN-11-0003
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1982 12:00AM