A COMPREHENSIVE ANALYSIS OF URBAN BUS TRANSIT EFFICIENCY AND PRODUCTIVITY. PART I. DEFINITION AND MEASUREMENT OF URBAN TRANSIT PERFORMANCE
The document presents a review of the concepts and definitions of efficiency, effectiveness, and productivity in the public transportation sector. The development of appropriate performance indicators is discussed. The trend of bus transit performance indicators is examined separately for various classes of transit systems. In addition, a scheme of stratification is also presented on the premise that there exist many environmental and policy factors outside the control of the transit operator which impose constraints on the peformance of transit systems. The transit systems considered herein include the entire set of bus systems reporting to the American Public Transit Association (APTA) in 1975. Finally, the report presents several potential uses of productivity concepts. Although these concepts are presently being used to allocate funds in some states, there are other uses such as for public policy evaluation, assessment of TSM strategies, as well as the establishment of clearly defined and measureable goals and objectives for urban transit.
- See also PB-295220 and Part 2 PB-295222. Also available in set of 4 reports.
Purdue UniversitySchool of Civil Engineering, 550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafeyette, IN USA 47907
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Sinha, J C
- Jukins, D P
- Publication Date: 1978-12
- Pagination: 173 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus transit; Buses; Contracts; Definitions; Drivers; Economic efficiency; Environmental impacts; Labor market; Level of service; Maintenance; Management; Measures of effectiveness; Performance; Planning; Productivity; Systems analysis; Systems engineering; Transportation operations; Transportation policy; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Effectiveness; Efficiency; Performance indicators; Services; Transportation management
- Old TRIS Terms: Bus transportation (Intracity); Management planning
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Environment; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00197474
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IN-11-0003-79-2Final Rpt., CE-TRA-78-4
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UMTA-IN-11-0003
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1979 12:00AM