A COMPREHENSIVE ANALYSIS OF URBAN BUS TRANSIT EFFICIENCY AND PRODUCTIVITY: EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
A review was first made of the concepts and definitions of efficiency, effectiveness, and productivity in the public transportation sector, and an appropriate framework for the development of a set of performance indicators was presented. Several potential uses of performance concepts as policy tools, management tools, and planning tools are also examined. In the second part of the project, an effort was made to examine the driver productivity issues and to identify the factors that may have a critical influence on system productivity and operating cost. This was done by examining a group of labor contracts and analyzing the available bus transit operation data. The third part of the project, report three, involved the development and validation of two methodologies to analyze various policies to improve urban transit performance with particular emphases upon bus transit systems in small to medium-sized urban areas.
- See also Part 1, PB-295221. Also available in a set of 4 reports, PB-295219-SET.
Purdue UniversitySchool of Civil Engineering, 550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafeyette, IN USA 47907
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Sinha, K C
- BHANDARI, A S
- Dobry Jr, D B
- Jukins, D P
- Publication Date: 1978-12
- Pagination: 27 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus transit; Buses; Contracts; Drivers; Economic efficiency; Labor market; Level of service; Maintenance; Management; Measures of effectiveness; Operating costs; Performance; Performance evaluations; Planning; Productivity; Systems analysis; Systems engineering; Transportation operations; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Effectiveness; Efficiency; Performance indicators; Services; Transportation management
- Old TRIS Terms: Bus transportation (Intracity); Management planning
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00197473
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IN-11-0003-79-1Final Rpt., CE-TRA-78-5
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UMTA-IN-11-0003
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1979 12:00AM