A STUDY OF TRANSIT RIDER CHARACTERISTICS
The report presents the results of a set of transit rider surveys conducted in a relatively well-served, intense transit environment. The bus surveys conducted used an on-board distribution of a mail-back questionnaire which requested the following types of information: basic trip data; alternatives; demographics; and other characteristics. The surveys covered four fixed route bus routes (two in Queens and two in Brooklyn) and one rail rapid transit line on Staten Island. The intent of the bus surveys was to relate the ridership observed to both the source population and the ridership of other services, and to deduce differences which might be specific to the mode and/or which might be useful in planning services. The survey of the rail rapid transit line was generally comparable, but there was another objective of equal importance in this case: a detailed study of the specific origins and destinations on the service of both stations on and off and original origin and final destination. Results from other studies done previously or concurrently are integrated to provide a systematic view of the range of transport alternatives available to the individual in the environments studied. The ridership studies were complemented by an extensive origin-destination study on the rail rapid transit service. The report also discusses basic ridership characteristics, frequency and time, and articulation with other modes.
Polytechnic Institute of New YorkTransportation Training and Research Center, 33 Jay Street
Brooklyn, NY United States 11201
Urban Mass Transportation AdministrationResearch and Education Division
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Mcshane, W R
- Menaker, P J
- Roess, R P
- Gilroy, J
- Publication Date: 1978-11
- Pagination: 157 p.
- TRT Terms: Buses; Data collection; Demographics; Market research; Origin and destination; Passengers; Public transit; Questionnaires; Rapid transit; Ridership; Routes; Statistical analysis; Surveys; Transportation planning; Travel demand; Travel patterns; Urban transportation
- Identifier Terms: New York City Transit Authority
- Old TRIS Terms: Rapid transit railways; Substitutes
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads; Society;
- Accession Number: 00197462
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-NY-11-0014-79-3Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UMTA-NY-11-0014
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 31 1981 12:00AM